Decision Maker: Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the Schools Capital Programme 2021-22
Councillor Dr Michael Hardacre presented the report on the priorities for the schools’ capital programme 2021-2022. Department for Education (DfE) grant funding of £1.3 million had been made available for capital investment into the city’s schools for urgent works to prevent school closures or health and safety breaches. Councillor Dr Hardacre highlighted that the condition survey on which the DfE grant was made included a backlog of urgent items totalling circa £3 million.
1. That the detailed projects for schools’ condition allocation capital funding in 2021-2022 as listed in section 4.6 of the report be approved.
2. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Education and Skills in consultation with the Director of Children’s and Adult Services, to initiate works in relation to emergency works preventing a school closure.
3. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Education and Skills in consultation with the Director of Children’s and Adult Services, to initiate works in relation to asbestos removal preventing a school closure.
4. That the provisional resources available for implementing the 2021-2022 schools ‘capital maintenance programme is £1.3 million against a condition backlog of £3 million for priority 1 items be noted.
5. That it be noted that the resources available for basic need have been fully committed toward the expansion of the primary and secondary school estate, to support the provision of additional pupil places given a continued increase in demand.
Report author: Nick Beeston
Publication date: 22/04/2021
Date of decision: 21/04/2021
Decided at meeting: 21/04/2021 - Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Effective from: 28/04/2021