Decision Maker: Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the acquisition of privately owned long term empty property through negotiation or compulsory purchase
1. That the Service Director of City Housing be authorised to negotiate terms for the acquisition of the property to negotiate terms for the acquisition of the property 45 Springhill Road, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton, WV11 3AW, and, in default of that acquisition, give authority for a compulsory purchase order (CPO) to be made under Part II Section 17 Housing Act 1985 in respect of the property.
2. That expenditure for the potential acquisition of the property, with subsequent capital receipts being recycled within the Empty Property Strategy programme be approved.
3. That in the event that the property is improved and re-occupied to the satisfaction of the Service Director of City Housing the property be withdrawn from the CPO.
4. That following any acquisition, the Service Director of City Housing be authorised to dispose of the property on the open market on condition that the property is refurbished and re-occupied with in six or 12 months (as appropriate to the scale of the works).
5. That the Director of Governance be authorised to:
a. Take all reasonable steps as soon as it is reasonably practical to secure the making, confirmation and implementation of the CPO including the publication and service of all Notices and the presentation of the Council’s case at any Public Inquiry.
b. Approve agreements with the owners of the property setting out the terms for the withdrawal of objections to the CPO, and/or making arrangements for re-housing or relocation of any occupiers.
c. Approve the making of a General Vesting Declaration (the property is brought into Council ownership via this process).
d. Approve the disposal of the whole and/ or parts of the property by auction, tender or private treaty.
Report author: Natalie Healy
Publication date: 03/04/2019
Date of decision: 02/04/2019
Decided at meeting: 02/04/2019 - Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Effective from: 10/04/2019