Decision Maker: Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To receive an update on the Schools Capital
Programme 2020-2021 and a breakdown of schemes for approval with
Councillor Dr Michael Hardacre presented the report on the priorities for the schools’ capital programme 2020-2021. Government grant of £1.3 million had been made available for the capital investment into the City’s schools for urgent works to prevent school closures or health and safety breaches. Councillor Hardacre announced that the condition survey on which the Government grant was made, included urgent items totalling circa £3 million.
1. That the detailed projects for schools’ condition allocation capital funding in 2020-21 as listed in paragraph 3.6 of the report be approved.
2. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Education and Skills in consultation with the Director of Children’s Services, to initiate works in relation to emergency works preventing a school closure.
3. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Education and Skills in consultation with the Director of Children’s Services, to initiate works in relation to asbestos removal preventing a school closure.
4. That it be noted that the resources available for implementing the 2020-21 schools‘ capital maintenance programme is £1.3 million against a condition backlog of £3 million for priority 1 items.
5. That it be noted that the resources available for basic need have been fully committed toward the expansion of the primary and secondary school estate, to support the provision of additional pupil places given a continued increase in demand.
Report author: Bill Hague
Publication date: 24/06/2020
Date of decision: 23/06/2020
Decided at meeting: 23/06/2020 - Cabinet (Resources) Panel
Effective from: 01/07/2020