[To receive an update on the Strategic Risk Register.]
Hayley Reid, Senior Auditor, presented the report on an update to the key risks the Council faces and how they were being mitigated. The summary of the strategic risk register had been attached in Appendix 1 that outlined the risks as at December 2019.
The group were advised that climate change had been added to the strategic risk register moving forward. The level of risks for the following two risks had been decreased:
The risk of Brexit would be looked into as to whether it should be a stand-alone item on the strategic risk register. It was agreed that an update be brought to the next Audit and Risk Committee meeting on this.
Hayley Reid advised the group that following additional work to compile the Council’s information asset register the target date to reduce the risk score for risk 3 – Information Governance had been delayed.
Following questions, Hayley Reid advised that an update regarding Westside would be provided at the next Audit and Risk Committee meeting. Claire Nye advised that the final contracts for Civic Halls would be underway in the next few months and had been incorporated into the financial budget.
It was agreed that the risk for Business Continuity be called in to the next Audit and Risk Committee meeting. It was agreed that the risk for waste Management services also be called in to the next Audit and Risk committee meeting for more information.
1. That the latest summary of the Council’s strategic risk register, as at Appendix 1 be noted.
2. That the inclusion of risk 38 – Climate Change be noted.
3. That the decrease in the scores for the Risk 8 – Business Continuity Management and Risk 30 – Civic Halls be noted.
4. That the increase in the risk score for risk 29, Fire Safety – Public Buildings be noted.
5. That a change to the target date for a reduction in the score of risk 3 – Information Governance, whilst additional work is undertaken to compile the Council’s information asset register be noted.
6. That changes to the risk description for risk 24 – Maximising Benefits from the Combined Authority be noted.
7. That the main sources of assurance available to the Council against its strategic risks at Appendix 2 be noted.
8. That it be agreed that an update on a Brexit stand-alone risk item be brought to the next Audit and Risk committee meeting.
9. That it be agreed that the risk for Business Continuity be called in to the next Audit and Risk Committee meeting.
10. That it be agreed that the risk for waste Management services be called in to the next Audit and Risk committee meeting for more information.