Agenda and minutes

Statutory Licensing Sub-Committee
Monday, 23rd September, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Committee Room 4, Third Floor, Civic Centre

Contact: Donna Cope, Democratic Services Officer  Tel: 01902 554452 Email:  donna.cope@wolverhampton.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

2.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

3.

Licensing Act 2003 - Premises Licence Application in respect of The Blakenhall Service Station, 327 Dudley Road, Wolverhampton, WV2 3JY pdf icon PDF 147 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

An application for a Premises Licence in respect of The Blakenhall Service Station, 327 Dudley Road, Wolverhampton, WV2 3JY was considered following representations received from Public Health, Licensing Authority and Other Persons.

 

The Chair led round-table introductions and outlined the procedure to be followed. All parties confirmed that they understood the procedure.

 

Mrs Anita Chonk, Licensing and Compliance Officer, provided an outline of the application and confirmed that the premises was situated within a Cumulative Impact Zone (CIZ).

 

Mr Thomas Griffiths, Barrister, representing Veronica Nastase (Applicant), confirmed that the summary provided was accurate.

 

The Chair invited the Applicant to present the application. Mr Thomas Griffiths, Barrister, representing the Applicant, did so as per Appendix 1 of the report. He acknowledged that the premises was located within a CIZ and presented the following submission in response to the objections that had been made:

·         There would be 16 CCTV cameras covering all areas.

·         Alcohol would be stored in locked cabinets and chillers.

·         All customers would be vetted before alcohol sales were authorised.

·       A panic button with direct access to the police would be located under the cash desk.

·       The Applicant had mediated with the police and they no longer had concerns with the application.

·       Two members of staff would be present at all times and more would be deployed if necessary.

·         The proposed DPS and PLH intended to move to Wolverhampton.

·         Staff would be given refresher training on a quarterly basis.

·       The premises would primarily be used as a convenience store with the sale of petrol being merely an ancillary activity.

·         A night hatch would operate between 9-11pm.

·       Security would be deployed during weekends and busy periods if necessary.

·         There would be no promotion or special discounts for alcohol.

·         The premises would keep a refusals register.

·       The Applicant had previous experience in this field and was willing to mediate with all agencies.

·       The Applicant intended to employ a further member of staff that held a personal licence or alternatively would pay for a staff member to undertake the training.

 

The Chair afforded all parties present the opportunity to question Mr Griffiths in relation to his submission.

 

Mr Griffiths and Ms Nastase, responded to questions asked.

 

The Chair invited the Licensing Authority to make representations. Mrs Elaine Moreton did so as per Appendix 6. She confirmed however, that following Mr Griffith’s submission her concerns had been addressed and she no longer objected to the application.

 

The Chair afforded all parties present the opportunity to question the Licensing Authority in relation to its submission. No questions were asked.

 

The Chair invited Public Health to make representations.

 

Parpinder Singh, Senior Public Health Specialist, and Jamie Annakin, Principal Public Health Specialist, did so as per Appendix 7 of the report.

 

The Chair afforded all parties present the opportunity to question Public Health on its submission. Parpinder Singh and Jamie Annakin provided responses to questions asked.

 

The Chair invited Other Persons to make representation.

 

Councillor Jas Dehar did so as per Appendix 5 of the report. She  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.