Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To report on the estimated outturn for Council Tax and Business Rates, also referred to as Non-Domestic Rates (NDR), transactions on the Collection Fund in 2020-2021.
1. That the payments to the precepting authorities of their share of the Council Tax deficit in equal instalments be approved.
The estimated outturn in 2020-2021 is a cumulative deficit of approximately £7.8 million after accounting for the Hardship Fund grant to compensate for council tax reliefs but prior to funding for 75% of irrecoverable losses. Based on their proportion of the 2020-2021 council tax bill, as approved by Council in March 2020 the amounts are as follows:
• City of Wolverhampton Council £6.8 million
• West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner £660,000
• West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority £251,000
2. That the apportionment of the payments from the precepting authority of their share of the Business Rates deficit, also referred to as Non-Domestic Rates, in equal instalments be approved.
The estimated outturn in 2020-2021 is a cumulative deficit of approximately £9.0 million after accounting for the forecast additional Covid-19 business rates reliefs funded by Section 31 grant but prior to funding for 75% of irrecoverable losses; this is as a result of a cumulative deficit totalling £818,000 brought forward from 2019-2020 and an estimated deficit in 2020-2021 totalling approximately £8.2 million. As prescribed by legislation the amounts are as follows:
• City of Wolverhampton Council £8.9 million
• West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority £90,000
3. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Resources, in consultation with the Director of Finance, to confirm any final changes to the forecast outturn reflecting any further information received ahead of the statutory deadline of 31 January 2021.
Report author: Mohammed Hasan
Publication date: 21/01/2021
Date of decision: 20/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 20/01/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 27/01/2021