Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve a proposed change to the Primary
School Expansion Programme 2021.
Having declared an interest in the report Councillor Beverley Momenabadi left the meeting whilst the report was considered.
Councillor Dr Michael Hardacre presented the report on a proposal to include Bilston CE Primary School in the Primary School Expansion Programme 2021 and the associated capital expenditure in order to ensure the provision of sufficient school places for September 2021.
1. That the formal proposal for Bilston CE Primary School to be included within the Primary School Expansion Programme 2021 be approved.
2. That the capital allocation from the Master Primary School Expansion Programme budget to the Capital Primary School Expansion Budget for Bilston CE Primary School, in order to fund the scheme be approved.
3. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Education, Skills and Work, in consultation with the Director of Children’s and Adult Services and the Director of Finance, to approve the inclusion of any additional schemes to the Primary and Secondary School Expansion Programmes 2021 and 2022, the allocation of the Expansion Programme budgets to individual capital projects and to enter into any necessary and associated legal agreements to give effect to the inclusion of any additional schemes.
4. That it be noted that in light of the scale of recent primary and secondary expansion programmes practical opportunities to continue to expand the existing estate are constrained.
5. That it be noted that the School Expansion Programmes 2021 and 2022 involves both temporary and permanent solutions to meet short and medium-term demand. This approach has been taken to ensure that an oversupply of school places is not created. Future demand may be influenced as a consequence of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, the arrival of Hong Kong British Nationals (overseas) and through the establishment of free schools within the City.
Report author: Hayley Kelly
Publication date: 08/07/2021
Date of decision: 07/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 07/07/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 14/07/2021