Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To summarise the recent submission to Government for Towns Funding to support the delivery strategic projects covering the centres of Bilston, Wednesfield, and the City Centre; and where required to seek appropriate approvals to accept and defray funding to expedite project delivery.
Councillor Stephen Simkins presented the report seeking delegated authority to receive funds and progress necessary agreements should the recent submission via the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) for Towns Funding for investment in the City Centre, Bilston and Wednesfield areas be successful in whole or part.
Members of Cabinet placed on record their thanks to all those involved for their hard and speedy work in putting the Towns Fund bid together, aswell as the ambitious shovel ready schemes in the three towns areas that successfully gained access to a time limited grant offer of £1 million from the MHCLG.
1. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Members for City Economy, City Environment and Resources in consultation with the Directors of Regeneration, City Environment and Finance to approve the full terms and conditions of a resultant Towns Fund grant funding award and to enter into such Funding and Collaboration Grant Agreements and any ancillary agreements in relation to Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government as may be required.
2. That authority be delegated to the Cabinet Members for City Economy, City Environment and Resources in consultation with the Directors of Regeneration, City Environment, and Finance to agree to the Council acting as accountable body and entering into any necessary agreements to enable the distribution of grant funding to third parties.
3. That authority be delegated to the relevant Cabinet Members for City Economy or City Environment and Resources in consultation with the relevant Directors of Regeneration or City Environment, and the Director of Finance to create the capital and revenue budgets up to the value detailed in the report subject to the successful receipt of the Towns Fund grant.
4. That the bid submitted on behalf of the Wolverhampton Towns Fund Board as outlined in appendix 1 to the report including match funding commitments be noted.
5. That it be noted that information set out in the report relates to a bid on behalf of the Towns Fund Board and that this is not a City of Wolverhampton Council (CWC) bid. Some of the constituent projects are led and managed by CWC and where this is the case they would be subject to normal CWC reporting processes, others are to be led by partner organisations and in this case would subject to the host governance arrangements as detailed in the report.
6. That it be noted that a review is being carried out of the Towns Fund Board Governance and membership arrangements and that a separate discussion would be held on this at the January 2021 Towns Fund Board meeting.
Report author: Liam Davies
Publication date: 10/12/2020
Date of decision: 09/12/2020
Decided at meeting: 09/12/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 16/12/2020